- CAS No.: 10043-67-1 (Anhydrous) 7784-24-9 (Dodecahydrate)
- Molecular Weight: 474.38
- Chemical Formula: AIK (SO4) 2 12 H2O
SAF-T-DATA (tm) Ratings
- Health Rating: 2- Moderate
- Flammability Rating: 0- None
- Reactivity Rating: 1-Slight
- Contact Rating: 2 - Moderate
- Lab Protective Equip: GOOGLES; LAB COAT; VENT HOOD; PROPER GLOVES
- Storage Color Code: Green (General Storage)
This material hydrolyzes in water to form sulfuric acid, which is responsible for the irritating effects given below.
- Inhalation: Causes irritation to the respiratory tract. Symptoms may include coughing, shortness of breath.
- Ingestion: Causes irritation to the gastrointestinal tract. Symptoms may include nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. There have been two cases of fatal human poisonings from ingestion of 30 grams of alum.
- Skin Contact: Causes irritation to skin. Symptoms include redness, itching, and pain.
- Eye Contact: Causes irritation, redness, and pain.
- Inhalation: Remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Get medical attention.
- Ingestion: If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Give large quantities of water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Get medical attention immediately.
- Skin Contact: Wipe off excess material from skin then immediately flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Get medical attention. Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse.
- Eye Contact: Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, lifting upper and lower eyelids occasionally. Get medical attention.
- Fire: Not considered to be a fire hazard.
- Fire Extinguishing Media: Use any means suitable for extinguishing surrounding fire. Keep in mind that addition of water can cause the formation of sulfuric acid.
- Special Information: In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing breathing apparatus with full face piece operated in the pressure demand.
Keep in a tightly closed container, stored in a cool, dry, ventilated area. Protect against physical damage. Isolate from incompatible substances. Containers of this material may be. hazardous.
- Ventilation System: A system of local and/or general exhaust is recommended to keep employee exposures below the Airborne Exposure Limits. Local exhaust ventilation is generally preferred because it can control the emissions of the contaminant at its source, preventing dispersion of it into the general work area.
- Personal Respirators: If the exposure limit is exceeded and engineering controls are not feasible, a half face piece particulate respirator by worn for up to ten times the exposure limit or the maximum use concentration specified by the appropriate regulatory agency or respirator supplier, whichever is lowest.
- Skin Protection: Wear impervious protective clothing, including boots, gloves, lab coat, apron or coveralls, as appropriate, to prevent skin contact.
- Eye Protection: Use chemical safety goggles and/or full face shield where dusting or splashing of solutions is possible. Maintain eye wash fountain and quick-drench facilities in work area.
Physical and Chemical Properties
- Apperance: Colorless crystals.
- Odor: Odorless.
- Solubility: 14% in water, 333% in boiling water
- 3.3 (0.2 M solution)
- % Volatiles by volume @ 21C (70F):
- Boiling Point: ca. 200C (ca. 392F) Loses water
- Melting Point: 92.5C (198F)
Stability and Reactivity
- Stability: Stable under ordinary conditions of use and storage.
- Hazardous Decomposition Products: Hydrolyzes to form dilute sulfuric acid. Toxic and corrosive oxides of sulfur may be formed when heated to decomposition.
- Hazardous Polymerization: Will not occur.
- Incompatibilities: Corrosive to metals in the presence of water.
- Conditions to Avoid: Moisture an incompatibles.
- Label Hazard Warning: WARNING! HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.
- Label precautions:
- Avoid breathing dust.
- Keep container closed.
- Use only with adequte ventilation
- Wash thoroughly after handling.
- Avoid contact with eyes, skin and clothing.
- Label First Aid: If swallowed, DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING. Give large quantities of water. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing, give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. In case of contact, wipe off excess material from skin then immediately flush eyes or skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse. In all cases, get medical attention.
Maha Maya Poly Chem Pvt.Ltd., Established in 2005 at Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh, is leading Manufacturer, Supplier of Chemical Supplies in India. Maha Maya Poly Chem Pvt.Ltd. is one of Trade India's verified and trusted sellers of listed products. With their extensive experience of supplying and trading Acetone For Wood, Maha Maya Poly Chem Pvt.Ltd. has made a reputed name for themselves in the market with high quality Acetone For Wood, MTO, H.F etc. Focusing on a customer centric approach, Maha Maya Poly Chem Pvt.Ltd. has a pan-India presence and caters to a huge consumer base throughout the country. Buy Chemical Supplies in bulk from Maha Maya Poly Chem Pvt.Ltd. at Trade India quality-assured products.
- BUSINESS TYPE Manufacturer, Supplier
- EMPLOYEE COUNT 10
- ESTABLISHMENT 2005
- CERTIFICATION ISO 9001:2008