Cycles are the simplest means of mechanical transport, and if one looks at the overall contribution of the humble bicycle to climate change and other disasters, then it can also be concluded that cycles have had no role in contributing to these global concerns. Electric cycle can be assumed to be a cycle that is powered by a motor. We will discuss this in greater detail in the later section of the article. Electric bikes are here to stay, which is the very first point you should know. Electric bikes are not intended to replace our reliance on human power. In fact, they could even improve it, particularly when travel and commuting patterns alter as a result of the coronavirus epidemic and the change in how people go to work. But foremost, let us first understand the working of the simple bicycle, or “bike”.
A cycle is a mechanically powered means of transport, which works on a very simple method. A cycle has two wheels, both of identical shape and size, and they are connected to the frame of the cycle. The rear wheel is connected to a chain and sprocket assembly, which is driven by a set of pedals. These pedals are run by human power. The cyclist is seated on the cushioned seat of the bike, and uses his pedal to power the chain and sprocket assembly. This in turn transfers power to the rear wheel and the cycle is propelled forward. The front wheel is connected to the handle of the bike in such a manner that it is used to provide direction or it is used to steer the cycle in the direction desired by the user. This is how a humble bicycle works. Riding a cycle is also a healthy means of keeping fit and a sure shot way of maintaining a good heart. However, human effort depends on the energy level of the user, and this is subject to change, depending on various conditions. For example, on an incline, the effort required to propel the cycle forward increases considerably, or the road conditions require frequent braking and stopping of the cycle, thereby making it difficult for the human user to sustain the same level of effort. So, what can be the solution to this problem? The solution was rather simple but an ingenious one. Why not add an electric DC motor to the rear wheel assembly? And lo behold, this was the birth of our Electric Cycle! So successful and yet simple has been this idea, that there are many Electric Cycle Manufacturers in India and across the world.
Let us understand how exactly this electric cycle, aided by an electric motor works. As stated before, the electric motor is usually connected to the rear wheel, and has an operation switch near the handle of the bicycle. There is also a means of control the speed, by either using a lever or an accelerating wire, like the ones used in the motorcycle. Electric Cycle Price in India begins at 25000 rupees and increases as the functionality of the bike increases.
- Similar to a regular bicycle, electric bikes have a pedal and a handlebar. It is intended for the electric component to supplement human power rather than completely replace it. You can travel farther without getting as tired because it makes challenges like hilly terrain and strong wind more manageable.
- The power ratings of electric bike motors range widely, from 250 watts to 1,000W or more. A higher rating indicates that the bicycle will be more easily able to draw more weight, but at the cost of burning more battery power in the process. As a result, a 1000W motor will use the battery considerably more quickly than a 250W one while being more powerful. Electric Cycle in India is also becoming very popular with manufacturers like Hero, Firefox ad many others who have entered this segment.
- Electric bikes function in a way that is significantly influenced by the layout and placement of the motor. A hub motor is the most popular kind of electric bicycle motor. Usually, it is built into either the front or back wheel. When activated, it moves the wheel either pushing or pulling. Even while this system works effectively, it has one significant drawback. It loses effectiveness on hills and other uneven terrain because it is not linked to the bike's gears. Imagine spending the whole day shifting just one gear in a car. It will get you where you're going, but it won't offer you as much torque or speed as you would with all the gears engaged.
- The battery's selection is important since it influences the bike's weight, style, and range. Electric motorcycles depend heavily on batteries for their operation. The vast majority of batteries available on the market may be divided into either of the below two groups:
- Lead acid sealed (SLA): Its advantage is that it is cheap but on the flip side, it is big and bulky, with limited riding range. Also it has a lower number of charge and discharge cycles and needs regular upkeep.
- Lithium Batteries: These batteries use the most recent technology. A lithium battery lasts around three times as long as a SLA battery. In addition to being much lighter, lithium batteries need no maintenance. Its advantages include its higher capacity, while being lightweight. It offers longer range and a greater number of charging and discharging cycles. The only disadvantage is that these batteries are very expensive, compared to a SLA battery.
- At the heart of an electric cycle lies its controller. The controller, which is an essential component of how electric bikes function and is available in a number of forms, enables you to regulate how much of electric energy you need. For convenience, the controller is mounted on the handlebar.
- The two primary types of controllers are those that use the throttle and those that use the pedal. Electric assistance is provided via pedal-activated devices when you press the pedals. Simple pedalling will do the same thing as using the throttle. From no aid to a lot of support, you may dial in the level of assistance you choose. Simple throttle mechanisms are used by controllers having throttle inputs. Either a thumb-press or a twist-grip throttle will be used.
- Electric bikes are often easy to operate, ride, and maintain. Overall, they don't need much more care than a regular bike does. Electric bikes are made to be incredibly simple to use. As a rider, you may choose between three modes of operation:
- Drive Only Mode: In this case, an electric cycle is used the way a regular normal cycle is. Here, there is no input from the motor or the battery and the cycle propel based on human efforts alone. So, it feels like a typical cycle with or without gears.
- Pedal-Assist Mode: This is more of a hybrid sort of a mode. In this, the uman energy and the motor, together propel the cycle forward. There is a controller key located on the handlebar of the cycle and depending on the chosen setting, the motor will feed the wheels energy to spin faster. Generally, this comes in three ratings of low, medium and high.
- Electric-Only: In this setting, the motor takes over completely and you need not even pedal the cycle. The motor will propel the wheels and depending on your throttle setting, it will move at a specific speed. You can keep the throttle on to keep moving forward and slows down when you release the throttle.
Also, read: 9 Best Bike Manufacturers In India 2022
Conclusion: Electric cycles are indeed greener means of transport. They are easy to operate and make riding fun. Electric cycles are considered to be an advancement of the humble cycle. The electric cycle has a small motor which is operated by a controller, feeding electrical energy to it from either a lead acid battery or a lithium ion one. Lithium ion batteries are better but more expensive. If you are looking for Best Electric Cycle in India then you can look at electric bicycles offered by Firefox and hero. They have a starting range of 25000 INR.
FAQs: Electric Cycle
Q. Can an electric bike be used as a regular bike?
Ans. Yes, an electric bike can be used as a regular bike. The electric function is normally only an assist function.
Q. What is the range of an electric cycle?
Ans. It depends on the rating of the motor and the battery. Normally, we can expect it to deliver a range of 20-30 km.
Q. How do Electric bicycles work?
Ans. The article discusses the operation of an electric vehicle in detail. Kindly refer to it.
Q. Can you lose weight riding an electric bike?
Ans. An electric cycle can be used as a regular bike, and thus it can aid in weight loss.