Bicycle Pedals : Most Essential Thing For Propelling A Bicycle
Everyone would be aware of the term bicycle pedals. A majority of us have ridden a bicycle in our childhood ( some of us still do). All such people would remember the joy of continuously pedaling a bicycle, sometimes with all our strength, all in the process of maneuvering across a challenging terrains or simply in the hope of making the bicycle move faster. Technically the term bicycle pedals simply means the part of a bicycle which the rider pushes with the help of his/her feet for the sole purpose of propelling the bicycle. These provide the requisite connection between the crank and the foot of the rider, indirectly enabling him/her to to turn the bottom bracket spindle for the purpose of propelling the wheels of the bicycle.
The earlier bicycle pedals were plain and simple. This can also be primarily attributed to the fact that bicycles in that time period were mostly of a uniform type. As bicycle design evolved, ensuring innumerable bicycle types based on their usage nature, working mechanisms etc., the design of the pedals also witnessed a sea change. As of today, bicycle pedals are available in a variety of forms to suitability support various types of bicycles.
Some popular types of bicycle pedals are as follows,
* Flat and platform pedals
* Quill pedals
* Clip-less pedals
* Magnet pedals
* Folding pedals ( only used in folding bicycles)
Features of Bicycle Pedals:
* These are designed and manufactured with a specific emphasis towards ensuring optimal tolerance to heavy duty usage.
* All bicycle pedals have anti slippery surface. This is necessitated for ensuring the rider can easily pedal along even in adverse conditions and surroundings
* Usually only those materials are used for manufacturing bicycle pedals that are resistant to corrosion and abrasion
* The pedals also have optimal tolerance to chips and winding
* A majority of bicycle pedals have a long service life and require minimal maintenance
* These are designed to provide sufficient grip to the rider during pedaling
Factors to be kept in mind while choosing bicycle pedals:
* Which type of surface or terrain you have to ride the bicycle on
* Do you want an enhanced grip for your feet during propelling the bicycle
* Are you a first time rider or an expert and professional one
* How long do you plan to ride the bicycle every day
* The prevalent weather conditions in the areas you usually plan to ride the bicycle in
* Last but not the least, some people also factor in their style requirements while choosing a bicycle pedal