Steel Grade Manganese Ore :
1. Manganese is essential to iron and steel production by virtue of its sulfur-fixing, deoxidizing, and alloying properties.
2. Small amounts of manganese improve the workability of steel at high temperatures, because it forms a high melting sulfide and therefore prevents the formation of a liquid iron sulfide at the grain boundaries.
Aluminum Alloy Grade Manganese Ore :
1. Aluminum with a manganese content of roughly 1.5% has an increased resistance against corrosion due to the formation of grains absorbing impurities which would lead to galvanic corrosion and is therefore considered to be ideal for Aluminum Alloy manufacturing units.
Other general Grade Manganese :
1. Nickel was made from a copper-silver-manganese alloy
2. Methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl is used as an additive in unleaded gasoline to boost octane rating and reduce engine knocking
3. Manganese (II) ions function as cofactors for a number of enzymes in higher organisms, where they are essential in detoxification of super oxide free radicals
4. Manganese (IV) oxide (manganese dioxide, MnO2) is used as a reagent in organic chemistry for the oxidation of benzyl alcohols
5. Manganese (IV) oxide is used in the original type of dry cell battery as an electron acceptor from zinc, and is the blackish material found when opening carbonâ€“zinc type flashlight cells